planning ahead before going out
A good checklist is HALTS - if you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, Sad or Sick ask yourself 'do I really want to go out?'
It may be better to stay home or go to a close friend's place, rather than getting toasted and partying. If friends look down or unwell, suggest the same to them.
Before you go:
- A good meal (especially carbohydrates) and some non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated drinks before leaving home will give you energy reserves
- A good (no drama) night out is best with trusted friends
- It’s best to find out the strength of any gear. If injecting organise your works and use before leaving home
- Tell each other what drugs – and how much – you’re planning to take.
- Arrange safe transport, meeting times, and locations with a back-up plan.
Items to remember:
- Cool clothes and maybe a jacket for in-between clubs and afterwards.
- Sunglasses for dawn.
- Phone card or cell phone.
- Door key.
- Condoms and lube.
- Put aside $ for cab (leave $ at home to pay for return cab if you have money management problems).
- A sipper bottle that can be refilled in the bathroom can reduce dehydration.
At the venue:
- Suss out the layout: exits, chill room, fans, coat check, etc.
- See if water is free or if cold water is on in the bathrooms.
If going to a private or underground party:
- Take a supply of water (sippers) unless you definitely know some will be there.
- Suss out the layout especially the location of first aid or support crew.
- Extra warm clothing may be required.
- You may need back-up plans i.e. a meeting place if the party is closed down.