drink spiking

People spike drinks to sexually assault, rape or rob the victim, or even as a prank. Alcohol or other drugs – illegal and prescription – are used. If you think you have consumed a spiked drink, alert someone you know and trust or the staff at the venue.

The drugs don’t stay in your system for long, even if you feel you cannot speak to anyone initially, at least get a sample of your urine and store it in a clean sealable container in the fridge until you decide what you want to do.

Consider calling the Police.

To avoid having your drink spiked, ensure that you:

  • Don’t leave your drink unattended, and get a friend to guard it if you go away.
  • Don’t accept drinks from strangers.
  • Don’t share drinks.
  • Watch the person behind the bar when they pour your drinks.
  • Buy bottles with lids or sipper bottles, so you can store your drink in a bag if necessary.
  • If you’re out with someone you don’t know, arrange for a friend to call you during the evening and/or pick you up. Meet in a public space. Arrange your own transport.

Warning signs include:

  • Feeling dizzy, faint, sick, unusually tired or sleepy.
  • Feeling too hot or cold or both at the same time.
  • Feeling intoxicated or confused even if you have only had a little alcohol to drink.
  • Passing out.
  • Waking up feeling uncomfortable and disorientated, with memory blanks about the night before.

If someone is acting strangely, consider that they may have consumed a spiked drink. If you are very concerned call an ambulance or seek medical attention, otherwise:

  • Keep an eye on them.
  • Ensure they are in the recovery position when lying down.
  • Make sure they leave with someone trustworthy or help them get home.
  • Ask for photo identification and record their details.

Drink spiking can seriously traumatise people and is totally unacceptable.

Drink spiking is illegal and can land you in jail. It’s an offence to endanger someone’s life, or take sexual advantage of anyone too intoxicated or out of it to give consent. If the person has a serious reaction to the drug and dies, the person responsible could face a murder charge.

If you are concerned about your own or someone else's drug use, contact CADS now on 09-845 1818 or www.cads.org.nz