Dancing in hot clubs for long periods, especially on stimulant drugs (e.g. E, Speed) can be a recipe for dehydration and heat stroke. If your body temperature gets too high this can lead to internal organ damage (including the brain), or death.

'sorted' - safer partying drug information guide ** Community Alcohol and Drug Service (CAD) - Auckland

It is recommended that you:

  • Sip 600 mls of watery drinks every hour. Avoid, alcohol, caffeine, and sugary drinks (coke, energy drinks) as these increase dehydration (drinking too much too fast is not good - sippers are best).
  • If not taking stimulant drugs (e.g. speed, ecstasy) then isotonic sports drinks (e.g. Powerade, Gatorade, E2) can help prevent dehydration if dancing full on.
  • Take regular breaks from dancing.
  • Read about water intoxication in the ecstasy section.
  • Keep an eye on friends and encourage them to chill out and sip water if going too hard.
  • Watch out for the following symptoms:

First stage of heat stroke:

  • Headaches.
  • Dizziness.
  • Sudden irritability and tiredness.
  • Cramps in arms, legs and back.
  • Not sweating, even when hot.
  • Infrequent and small quantity of dark pee (this can occur on E due to water retention; check other symptoms before stressing).

If symptoms occur, stop dancing, sip water slowly (do not give water to someone who is fitting or unconscious), apply cold water and ice to forearms, neck and head to reduce body temperature. Remove warm clothes.

Once you’ve cooled down, keep warm if required (so your body temperature doesn’t stay too cold).

Second stage of heat stroke:

  • Brief blackouts (memory gaps).
  • Fainting or collapsing.
  • Fitting.

If someone collapses, put them in the recovery position (refer picture above). Notify club or event staff and if there’s no quick improvement, have an ambulance called (phone 111). Tell the ambulance crew what drugs your friend has taken as it may save their life.

If you are concerned about your own or someone else's drug use, contact CADS now on 09-845 1818 or www.cads.org.nz