Ecstasy - Harm reduction tips
These tips are for genuine E - pure MDMA. However what is sold as E may contain little or no MDMA at all. Rather it will be MDA, MDEA, 2-CB etc; pills may also contain ketamine, amphetamine, etc.
- No use is the safe choice.
- If you can, get your pills checked.
- Over an hour - every hour - sip not gulp up to 600ml of water especially if you are sweating. You won't need this much fluid if you’re not sweating.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugary drinks which increase dehydration.
- Avoid isotonic sports drinks as the potassium they contain can increase blood pressure to unsafe levels.
- Remember basic safety issues including safe sex.
- Avoid E if you have heart, liver or kidney problems, epilepsy or asthma.
- Avoid combining with alcohol or mixing drugs because this produces unpredictable effects and is a greater health risk, putting a huge strain on the heart and liver.
- Avoid taking E if you are taking medication such as beta blockers. Consult your doctor about taking E with medication.
- If you’re diabetic, insulin levels can be affected and you may need to monitor blood sugar levels more regularly.
- E can cause a bad reaction if you have an anxiety or psychotic disorder or suffer panic attacks.
- Taking a break from E use can help you regain your emotional and physical well-being. using E regularly (e.g. every weekend) can result in becoming emotionally and physically run down and as your natural immunity weakens you become susceptible to infections, colds, flu, etc.
- For more info on what specific pills may contain see www.ecstasydata.org(external link)