safer partying drug
magic mushrooms (shrooms, blue
meanies, 42 gold tops, liberty caps)
||Magic Mushrooms are similar to LSD (see LSD for more info). There are many types of Magic Mushrooms. The
most commonly used mushies contain psilocybin, and some also contain
psyilocin. Both have effects similar to LSD.
Mushrooms are seasonally available
(autumn); however, capsules of dried, powdered Magic Mushrooms are often around
out of season.
Shrooming (immediate effects):
- More cramps, sweats/chills and nausea/ vomiting than acid (LSD).
- Sometimes effects are unpredictable and intense, with an increased
chance of panic attacks or bad trips. This is partly due to the
difficulty in measuring dose and extent of other toxins.
- Effects occur within 15 to 45 minutes, and can include muscle
weakness and twitches, nausea and vomiting, sweating, chills and
shivering followed by heightened sensations which last for 4 to 5 hours.
- They can also have a strong hallucinogenic effect.
- There is considerable variation in experiences amongst individuals.
See LSD due to the similarity of long-term
- No use is the safest choice.
- To avoid a bad trip, itís best to take Magic Mushrooms only if
feeling good, with trusted friends in a safe environment.
- If you're new to mushies, start slow, take 3-5 mushies only.
- Dropping a shroom trip while out clubbing could end up in disaster.
Wait until the effects have peaked before deciding if you can deal with
- Itís best to go mushroom hunting with someone who knows what theyíre
doing. Donít pick anything you cannot positively identify. There are
very poisonous mushrooms that may be mistaken for psilocybin shrooms.
- The strength of Magic Mushrooms varies considerably depending on the
type, age, recent rain and soil conditions. Mushrooms from the same
batch vary and some are toxic. Itís safer to take a small dose and wait
2 hours before having more (if required) than losing the plot big-time.
- Many people eat Magic Mushrooms in the forest as they find them.
Itís safest to stay in a group and plan to have water and other
essentials available, including a straight driver to get you home.
- Other synthetic hallucinogens such as LSD are generally more
reliable and safer unless you have synthetically produced psilocybin.
Some users binge in-season and put their mental health at risk.
- Driving on mushies is not recommended.
IF YOU ARE WORRIED about your own or someone elseís Magic Mushroom use,
contact CADS on (09) 845-1818 or